It’s an irony of our modern lives that while technology is continually invented that saves us time, we use that time to do more and more things, and so our lives are more fast-paced and hectic than ever. Life moves at such a fast pace that it seems to pass us by before we can really enjoy it. However, it doesn’t have to be this way. Let’s rebel against a hectic lifestyle and slow down to enjoy life. Slowing down is a conscious choice, and not always an easy one, but it leads to a greater appreciation for life and a greater level of happiness.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Do less. Focus on what’s really important
2. Be present. It’s not enough to just slow down — you need to actually be mindful of whatever you’re doing at the moment.
3. Disconnect. Don’t always be connected. If you carry around a smartphone or other mobile device, shut it off. Better yet, learn to leave it behind when possible.
4. Focus on people. Too often we spend time with friends and family or meet with colleagues, and we’re not really there with them. We talk to them but are distracted by devices.
5. Appreciate nature. Many of us are shut in our homes and offices and cars and trains most of the time and rarely do we get the chance to go outside. Slow down and take a moment to look and listen to nature.
6. Eat slower. Chew slow and enjoy the flavors of your food
7. Find pleasure in anything. This is related to being present, but taking it a step farther. Whatever you’re doing, be fully present.
8. Breathe. Focus on breathing for small periods of time